Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Catching Up On All These Events...

Okay--don't look at this post unless you've got some time. I haven't posted for a week so there are a lot of pics on here...
Anton loves his watermelon patch. It's his very own that he planted and takes care of by himself. For some reason he thinks he'll get rich off this so he babies it and carefully watches over it every day. He's doing pretty good and has 18-20 little watermelon growing on all his plants.
One day this past week Anton was headed to go fishing and Mischa begged to go with him. He was so sweet and careful with her. He even took her out in the boat in the middle of the pond. Within 1 minute they had caught a fish and Mischa was so excited!
A quick pic of Me and Peter that Kristina took. Why doesn't this boy ever wear a shirt?
Since Peter took a picture with me, Kristina had to have one too. Check out Peter in the background--he's telling Jade to "stop being such a baby."
Mischa loves to organize: shoes, clothes...chips.
Anton had a lot of fun in AZ hanging out with Vova Stirling before he left on his mission. This was taken at Mount Graham where the Stirlings go camping every year.
Hey--this pipe is a good idea for naughty boys to sit for a while out in the hot sun.

What a cute boy! He's already starting to look like a missionary...

The Stirling's were so gracious to host Anton for a week. We also had a lot of fun with them here in Missouri the week before.
Anton took this right before he left. I'm so thankful to Michelle for helping him so much and for Jenny and Brian for getting him the ticket. We love you, family!
Saturday we spent 5 1/2 hours weeding in the garden. The kids worked so hard and we finished it all so Mike and I treated them to dinner in a restaurant called Pastimes in the nearby town of Hamilton. Our water was turned off (and still isn't back on), so eating out was great! Above is an example of the perfect restaurant manners our kids have. First it was Mac...

Then Brig...

And, of course, Mischa had to follow. Somehow she doesn't look so scary--just cute.

Krissy, Sterling and Jade posing--no smile out of Sterling, though.

This took a few tries, but we finally got Peter to smile with Elena.

We spontaneously stopped by the Durfees on our way home. They were so sweet to let some of us take showers (they still had water). They even fed us homemade brownies and put on a great movie--The Greatest Game Ever Played. We barged in on them so early, they didn't even get dinner. By midnight, when we left, I realized that most of them just got a brownie for dinner. Sounds like I have some payback to do, huh? We had so much fun with them--we only missed Anton--he was out searching for arrowheads on the Grand River.

Jonah and Sharlee putting the mowers away. Yardwork is a family affair.

As soon as we arrived Peter started sweeping their concrete. We thought he was just happy to help, but he was only clearing a path to ride his Ripstick.


This is Brittany, their oldest daughter, keeping the flower garden beautiful and weed-free. Doesn't she have the greatest smile?

The Durfees garden puts mine to shame. I was a little chagrined 'til I found out she's done a garden for years. This garden will hopefully be my role model for next year.

Jadey and Moo-moo by the corn.The Durfees have some beautiful horses--Joann rides in the English style and it's so pretty to watch and fun to learn. Jade can't get enough of horses!

I love this picture of Anton & Mischa. It seems to bring up all my feelings of summer and the Missouri country life. This summer, more than any other, has brought with it feelings of anxiety in regards to my kids growing up too fast. The days seem to fly by and I can't hold on to them. We have one year left with Anton and he'll be gone. What do you try to teach your child when you have one year left with him? I'm so grateful for family and this beautiful world we get as our testing ground. I'm not a world traveler yet, but every place I've seen has something of beauty that tempts me to stay. There is so much to be thankful for.

11 comments:

kenzie said...

Colettie, cute pics. I loved reading it all too. I guess I don't get my camera out enough. It sure makes us feel like we are there. Love ya, Miss

heidi said...

Ok I promise that I will do better on the bloggs. It has been crazy here lately with school starting and everything. I know that that is no excuse, because you are so much more crazy! I loved the pics. they make me so sick, but I love looking at them. I love you guys so much, I can't wait to see you again. love you

Jeff Durfee Family said...

Dear Colette,
I just wanted to cry, the pictures were so great!!!! I love the pic of Mischa sorting the chips. Britt and Jeff and Alex were looking at the blog with me and we all laughed!!! Jeff is home for Thursday and Friday and we are doing a family vacation here at home. We are going to the trenton pool tomorrow (our theme for tomorrow is beach day) We are going to pretend we are heading to the beach. Friday is Mission Impossible day and we are going to catch some spies. Of course we have to go snipe hunting. If you are up for some last chance adventures call me and we'll play. thanks for such a fun blog. love JoAnn

Cara @ Gardenview Cottage said...

What a fun post. I loved all the pictures but the last one is my favorite!! The perfect summer picture. Abby loves to org. everything too - including chips or beads or shoes and...and...and.... I think they are more a like than we think! We will have to see them together someday!

Anonymous said...

Colie, I love the pic of anton and moomoo in the boat. I want to live here. I am so glad I at least get to come and visit you. Love ya jen

amy said...

Lettie,
How precious are each of these pictures. I love them all so much, especially Moomoo organizing the chips and going with Anton on the boat. She is darling. I just cry see all of your kiddies getting so much bigger everday. It actually happens with all my sister's kiddies. I love them all so much and miss spending time with them.
Give all of yours a big hug and kiss for me and tell them that I love them. Thank you for putting these on.
I love all so much.
Love Amy

Eaton's said...

That pic of moomoo and Anton in the boat is a keeper. LOVE it. mom

marjorie said...

After enjoying the photos, I had to re-show them to Grandpa. He said that beats letters for sure. We love seeing the family and reading about all the activities of your busy days. Love forever, Grandma S.

Anonymous said...

hey girl i miss u already and cant wait for x-mas well i guess im ok well maybe not but willa hasnt called yet and i doubt she will but thks for trying call me some time k well love u tell the boys i said bye and tell anton thks for talking to me when he did outside i really apreciate it since i always felt he ignored me but tht talk meant alot to me well i love you talk to ya later bye love sam

Anonymous said...

well i start my classes tomarow too tell anton i said good luck and just read it and it is easy well our date mutal is posponed to sept but im getting hook up oooooo how exciting his name is dj and he is only 2 heads taller then me but hey he is the funniest guy u will ever meet no joke i will have to get picks


well love u all bye love sam

marjorie said...

I had to look at the pics again and read all the very fun comments for each one. We are excited to be going to MO. soon, well in two more weeks. For sure the family is growing up. I,too, have tears for I know how much you will miss each one as they go out on their own. But then there is the joy of seeing them grow as they experience success and happiness in their life choices. love you all. G.& G. S.